Tuesday, May 22, 2018

"When you are in the Service of your Fellow Beings..." {week 46}

Hello Everyone,

It's been another crazy week in Nanaimo! Yesterday we had a pretty cool experience. On Sunday we found a lady named Pam. We taught her a little and then offered some service, which she accepted. The service she needed was her lawn to be mowed. Unfortunately neither Sister Yraguen or I have a lawn mower. We told her we would try and find a lawn mower by the next day, but no promises. I was a bit nervous about finding the help we needed on such short notice and on a holiday (Victoria day). We decided to text a member in the ward who is usually pretty willing to help. I wasn't expecting him to be available though. However, he responded right away and said he would gladly mow this lady's lawn. He came with his daughter, who had just flown in from Alberta. Come to find out his daughter was only there for 3 days, so they had limited time together. We weeded with his daughter while he mowed Pam's lawn. It wasn't an easy task since the grass was about a foot tall. Every time I looked over at him mowing the lawn he had the biggest grin on his face. After finishing the project they politely said they had to get going, because the daughter needed to be dropped off at the airport. They didn't have much time together, yet they still came and served. Not to mention, afterwards we texted him a thank you and he responded thanking us for giving him the opportunity. The biggest miracle to me that day, was witnessing someone so wiling to serve. It really touched me. I want to be the kind of person that the Lord can call on me for anything, even if it comes at personal sacrifice. It reminds me of something Joseph Smith once said. "A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race." 

I've been thinking a lot about why service is so important. I've come to the conclusion that it's because Christ Himself is not physically here on the earth. So it is up to us to be His hands and feet. The other day someone helped me out a ton. I remember 2 thoughts the flew through my mind. The first: "how am I ever going to repay them for this" the second "Christ doesn't expect you to repay Him." I'm not going to claim the 2nd thought as my own. We don't serve out of an effort to fill some quota. We serve because that's how others can come to understand the love of God. When we see Christlike service in the acts of others, that's when we begin to understand the unconditional nature of Christ's love. We serve without expectation of reward because Christ loves us without demanding anything from us. 

Lately I've met a lot of people who are angry at God for some reason or the other. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the time when people are angry at God, they try to convince themselves that He doesn't exist. Because one of the things that hurts the most is to be ignored. I don't know if this is true, but sometimes it seems that people are trying to hurt God in their anger by denying his existence. Yet God still exists no matter what any one person may think or decide. As Jeffry R Holland said "I am grateful to know that in spite of my imperfections (or the imperfections of those who may hurt or offend us) at least God is perfect- that at least He is, for example, able to love His enemies, because too often, due to the natural man and woman in us, you and I are sometimes that enemy. How grateful I am that at least God can bless those who despitefully use Him because, without wanting or intending to do so, we all despitefully use Him sometimes. I am grateful that God is merciful and a peacemaker because I need mercy and the world needs peace." 

I know that God exists. I also know that He refuses to give up on anyone. 

I hope all of you have an amazing week! 

Sister Bloomfield 





You might also like